21 October 2010

It’s all about me me ME!

Egosurfing (Googling yourself) has become increasingly popular. The idea is that you search the net for your own name, to see what articles appear about yourself or what images of yourself crop up. Professionals use this strategy to reassure themselves that there's no embarrassing information out there that could harm their reputations and that no one is using their data or IP without their consent. I do it just to reassure myself that I exist. Normal people search for themselves (and their friends) for cheap kicks.

At once worrying and gratifying, the normal outcome of a vanity search is that you discover most people who share your name are ugly, stupid bogans with prison tattoos and nose hair.

A recent study found that 47% of adult internet users have done a vanity search.

So, if you haven't ego surfed yet, give it a whirl!

Image: Salvatore Vuono

2 comments:

  1. Gee what a surprise I don't exist at all! I don't know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing...?!??!? HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably better not to exist than to stumble across pictures of yourself sucking someone's toes, dressed like a pineapple or sporting a bubble fringe.

    ReplyDelete