06 July 2010

10 guilty pleasures


1. Chucking a sickie

This is topical because I’m home today (but I’m actually sick which doesn’t count ‘cause it’s no fun).

I’m talking a mental health day or a doona day with a great book and some yummy eats, no kids, no spouse – just me and the couch.

2. Pampering

A hot bath in the middle of winter with a mud mask, exfoliating body scrub and a hair treatment. Once upon a time, I could read a book while I was soaking but I need my glasses these days and they fog up. So, just some iTunes, rose or lavender scented candles and my thoughts.

Similarly, a trip to the beauty parlour, hairdresser or masseuse is lavish and relaxing. Its positive emotional effects last for days.

3. Spuds

Oven baked potatoes, smashed with margarine, salt and pepper. Blissful comfort food!

Cheese and chocolate also feature highly on the foody pleasures list. As does any meal I don’t have to cook.

4. Trashy reads

Paperbacks with negative nutritional value – Mills and Boon Blazes, Lee Child novels, Harlan Coben novels – or glossy rags – Marie Claire, Women’s Health or Madison.

5. Grog

A G&T on a summer evening; a glass of sparkling on a Friday night; an expensive NZ sav blanc any time - the sun's always over the yardarm somewhere.

6. Lingerie

Pretty things – red polka dots, pink flowers, black lace, white satin… With the right smalls and a dab of luscious perfume, I feel decadent even in old jeans.

7. Shopping

Buying clothes, accessories or makeup. Even grocery shopping can be fun if I’m buying gorgeous fresh produce for a special meal.

8. Sleeping

Taking a nap in the middle of the day or sleeping in til ten in the morning, just because I can.

9. Riding

A summer motorcycle fang when I should be doing other things – good company, a clear blue sky, no wind, a bit of heat in the sun, some curves and corners in the road and no particular destination. Heaven!

(Sailing comes a close second.)

10. Catching up

Taking a break for coffee with Lin or Chris; grabbing a drink with Rosey or Adam; having lunch with mum or Kate; or, best of all, drinking endless cups of tea at Evi's kitchen table.

Image: Carlos Porto

No comments:

Post a Comment