07 December 2010

Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love is my second favourite book in the whole world. If it were a Thai banquet, I would gorge myself on all 108 courses. I don't want to watch the movie because, as pretty as Julia Roberts is, I'm sure she will corrupt the story.

I borrowed the book from the library because I thought it was going to be twee, trite and self-indulgent. Instead, it was funny, honest, illuminating and unpredictable. I had to rush out and buy my own copy.

Here's the plot (no spoilers):

Elizabeth Gilbert has 'everything', but as the book opens, we find her sobbing in a pool of snot and tears on her luxurious bathroom floor. She abandons her ‘perfect’ life in search of the real ‘everything’ (or everything that truly matters) on a 12-month travel extravaganza encompassing Italy (eat), India (pray) and Indonesia (love).

If you’ve ever wanted to pig out on pizza and the Italian language for four months solid, practice yoga in an ashram or find love in a tropical paradise, this book is for you.

Image: Suat Eman

No comments:

Post a Comment