11 August 2010

Coming to the party


How important are comments?

Writing a blog and not getting comments is a bit like hosting a party and having no one show up.

If comments weren’t important, I guess bloggers would just build a bunch of static HTML pages and knock themselves out.

From a personal perspective, getting a comment is a bit like receiving a present – I feel like clapping and dancing with delight!

However, you’ll notice the scarcity of comments on my posts. I’ve received maybe eight comments since I started The Monstress back on 4 July.

Does no one read my blog? How can that be when people tell me/text me/email me/message me often about how they enjoy my blog or a particular post?

To answer this quandary, I considered my own behavior when interacting with blogs that I either stumble across or subscribe to. I realised I rarely leave comments.

I believe comments add life and a sense of community to a blog. I’m pretty good at writing down what I think. But, when it comes to commenting on what a blogger wrote, I often don’t commit. I might start to write something and then I leave without posting it.

Sometimes, I’m worried what I say will seem stupid, sometimes I think what the blogger has written covers the topic so completely there’s nothing left to contribute and sometimes I need time to wrap my head around what they’ve written and maybe consider some other perspectives before I form my own opinion.

I rarely consider the blogger’s perspective – that they are putting themselves out there, naked and vulnerable, hoping their words and pictures aren’t just floating off in to the empty ether.

But I will from now on.

Image: Francesco Marino

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes a blog sums up something so nicely that a reader will think, "I cannot put anything that will do that justice" Have you ever considered that Monstress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Molly... You'll just have to work harder at your comments then. :-P

    ReplyDelete