12 August 2010

Talking turkey

Last night, my daughter gleefully told me that turkeys are so dumb that that during a rainstorm, they will stare up at the sky and forget to breathe, allowing their nostrils to fill up with water, so they drown. Sorry to disappoint, Miss Went, but scientists say this is a myth.

She also told me that turkeys are so dumb, farmers have to dye their food green or they don’t know it’s edible (the turkeys, not the farmers). I can’t find any evidence to support or refute this.

Three things that are true about turkeys:

1. Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the wild turkey, not the bald eagle, the national bird of the United States. (There’s got to be something wrong with eating your national symbol, Ben.)

2. For their first meal on the moon, astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin ate roast turkey in foil packets.

3. Big Bird (from Sesame Street) is dressed in a costume of 4,000 white turkey feathers (dyed yellow).

Image: Tom Curtis

4 comments:

  1. Monstress I have to disagree with you.

    There is nothing wrong with eating your national symbol, or the mascot of your favourite AFL team, or the National Rugby Union side come to think of it.

    You are what you eat, and I am a very a proud Australian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: Please pass the sauce :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I thought you would say that the turkey better represented the American population, Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the Seppos want to eat turkey, then I say let them eat turkey. I'll stick to Skippy :-)

    ReplyDelete