09 September 2010

Marmalade is toast

Kaos café (and its alter ego, Soak) – a long standing Hobart icon – is no more. I’m told it’s now called Marmalade.

What a stupid name (though no more stupid, I suppose, than Aubergine, The Lazy Bull, Say Cheese or Pop - what is it with these people???)

As far as I’m concerned, Marmalade is a cat’s name for the unimaginative (unless, of course, the cat is, say, black).

Does anyone even like marmalade?

Marmalade is old people’s food like bran, porridge, buttermilk and lambs fry. When I think marmalade, I picture a dusty old jar with a rubber-banded red gingham hat lurking in my grandmother’s pantry and filled with lumpy bitter orange glue.

Marmalade on toast? I think not. Give me a Sausage and Egg McMuffin any day.

Maybe Marmalade's target clientele is septuagenarians who don't like Maccas.


Image: healingdream

No comments:

Post a Comment